Sunday, October 18, 2015

Dewey's Read-a-thon: Mid-way Survey


This mommy just got done driving from Kansas to Minnesota. If I had been doing my Read-a-thon social media in real time, my replies would've been logged in right around 4 p.m. on Saturday, October 17th. But because my brain and hands were busy, all I can commit to is the Read-a-thon's simply reading. I don't have a free hand to do the fun social media stuff in real-time. 

Back to replying to surveys in retrospect!

1. What are you reading right now?
A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

2. How many books have you read so far?
On #4. The kids and I had a round of picture books this morning.

3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon?
The very one, I'm reading right now. I have been looking forward to reading it before it was published!

4. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those?
The whole day has been one long-extended-interruption as I juggle mother-hood, visit with distant relatives in Kansas, witness their local Maple Leaf Festival, and read in the midst of all of it. I deal by using several strategies:
  • Thanking the heavens for e-books on my phone 
  • Asking multiple other adults to watch the girls for "just a minute." 
  • Taking many bathroom breaks to sneak in a few extra moments of private (e-book) time 
  • Saying "yes" any time my 5-year-old wants to do festival activities that leave my hands-free, even momentarily... like jump in the bouncy castle or face painting. 
  • Keeping the kids distracted with festival food: funnel cake, sweet corn, church baked goods, kettle corn, etc. 
  • Agreeing to wait in line, any line, no matter how long.
5. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far?
The jump in reader participation this year.