Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Review: Chocolate

Chocolate : A Bittersweet Saga of Dark and Light 
by Mort Rosenblum 

This is the sort of book that is both satisfying and unsatisfying at the same time. Besides leaving you hungry, it touches on a lot of topics (history, agriculture, botany, cooking, manufacturing, marketing)and covers several continents. Because the author tackles so much, the text often feels fleeting. But I was excited to discover many new leads in reading and eating. A great place to start on "the chocolate trail," but may not satisfy the experienced foodie or the in-depth historian. (Originally posted as SquareSpot on PaperBackSwap.com.)

I love this quote which could apply to so many things in life:

"But as I listened to my various mentors argue away the afternoon, I finally caught on to the basic point of it all. With chocolate, there are no straight answers. There are only strongly held opinions."