Friday, November 25, 2011

Review: To Kill a Mockingbird

To Kill a Mockingbird
by Harper Lee

It's been a long time since I read this book, and the older I get, the more I appreciate it. In this story, it's the adults that make the real trouble and cover up their prejudices with hypocrisy ranging from white-lies to night-time terrorism. Even I found myself asking, ‘Why do grown-ups complicate things so much?' Between the simple pace, the Southern small-town setting, and the Scout's one-person narrative, I really slowed down to enjoy it this time around. And it's not the book that's changed; it's me. (Originally posted as SquareSpot on PaperBackSwap.com.)

One of many excellent quotes from the book: 

"Dill was off again. Beautiful things floated around in his dreamy head. He could read two books to my one, but he preferred the magic of his own inventions."